1. What is the BizStart program?
The BizStart program helps you develop entrepreneurial skills as well as broader employability skills. It is a full-time, six month program which helps you build your business.
In the program you will receive tailored entrepreneurial training to develop and launch your business by the end of the project. Furthermore, business consultants will be working with you in a consulting capacity to ensure that your business plan reflects market reality.
2. What training is provided through the BizStart program and what are the different phases of the program?
Employability Skills and Employability-Based Training – Phase 1
Participants will receive essential skills, employability and entrepreneurial training to enable them to better prepare for entrepreneurship and employment in the current labour market.
Entrepreneurial Skills Training and Business Plan Development – Phase 2
Participants will receive entrepreneurial and business skills training as well as business plan development workshops.
Business Launch and Entrepreneurial Operations – Phase 3
Participants will engage in active business start-up, operations, and growth activities which will allow them to enhance the business skills they acquired from the previous phase.
Mentorship – part of Phase 3
During the business launch and entrepreneurial operations phase the participants will be matched with a mentor and exposed to various forms of mentorship.
3. Who can apply to the BizStart Program ?
The BizStart program is open to youth between the ages of 16-29 living within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
4. What types of businesses are accepted?
BizStart accepts all types of businesses, from app developers to musicians. Creative and Non creative business are all welcome.
5. Does my business need to be registered before I apply?
No, your business does not need to be registered before you apply. BizStart will provide you with resources to assist with the application process.
6. Can I register if I am only in the beginning stages of my business?
Yes, as an entrepreneurship training program we have catered the curriculum to assist with businesses that are in the beginning or middle stages.
7. What topics will be covered in the six months program?
Training components include marketing, business management, branding, operations, business planning, and other business related topics.
8. Will BizStart help me complete my business plan?
Yes, we provide resources and support to assist you with the completion of your business plan.
9. What are the hours for the BizStart program?
It’s a full time program from Monday to Friday, 10am – 4pm, for 30hrs a week.
8. When is the start date?
Our next start date for the program will be September 5, 2022.
9. How many students will be enrolled in each class?
We will have 35 students in the next cohort.
10. When is the last day to apply?
We are currently not accepting applications. Applications will open up June 2022.
11. How has covid-19 affected the program?
The previous few cohorts were conducted virtually due to covid-19. Things seem to be opening up so it appears that the upcoming cohort will be delivered using a hybrid model, of both virtual and in person programing.
11. Where is the BizStart program’s location?
Youth Employment Services YES
555 Richmond Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 3B1