|Location||Dundas & McCaul|
|Date Posted||May 9, 2019|
The Veg Food Fest Assistant will be responsible for assisting and reporting to the Festival and Events Coordinator during the overall curation of the 35th annual Veg Food Fest.
The Veg Food Fest Assistant will be the point of contact for vendors. They will be responsible for clearly communicating information to vendors, answering vendor questions, and managing vendor logistics.
Under the guidance and alongside the Festival and Events Coordinator, the Veg Food Fest Assistant will be responsible for the delivery and execution of the vendor logistics management plan for the 35th annual Veg Food Fest.
The successful candidate must qualify for the Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ) program, be available for a start date of Monday, June 10th, 2019, and available from September 6th to 8th, 2019.
CONTRACT: 8-weeks through the CSJ program, and an 8-week extension through the TVA; 35 hrs/week
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Founded in 1945, the Toronto Vegetarian Association (TVA) is Toronto’s go-to resource for all things veg! For over 60 years, the TVA has worked to inspire people to choose a healthier, greener, more compassionate lifestyle through plant-based eating. A notable initiative of the TVA includes their flagship event, Veg Food Fest (September 6th to 8th 2019), North America’s largest annual plant-based festival attracting over 40,000 visitors, over 160 vendors and 60 hours of free programming.
CANADA SUMMER JOBS ELIGIBILITY
It is mandatory that the successful candidate be eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs program.
In order to qualify for this program, the candidate must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment position.
- Be Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
- Carry out all duties and responsibilities meeting defined objectives of the vendor logistics management plan and identifying areas of success for improvement.
- Maintain and update a comprehensive database of vendor information.
- Manage specific vendor logistics including vendor invoices, Toronto Public Health Temporary Food Establishment Application collection, and distribution of vendor information resources.
- Review, update, create, and circulate vendor information resources clearly to vendors leading up to the Festival.
- Engage and communicate with vendors frequently and diplomatically.
- Assist with Festival floor-plan creation.
- Manage vendor load-in and assist with Festival set-up.
- Communicate and update vendor logistics information with on-site production staff, graphic designer, staff members, and volunteers prior to and during the Festival.
- Prepare training materials for vendor services volunteers before Veg Food Fest and oversee them during the Festival.
- Assess and act quickly when concerns, questions, and unforeseen circumstances are raised prior to and during Veg Food Fest.
- Knowledge of: event and vendor management; database management; the plant-based community and landscape; monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL); volunteer management; digital marketing; and GTA non-profit landscape.
- Skills in: customer relationship management; written and verbal communication; creating training materials; copywriting; MacOS; cloud-based platforms, word processing, and spreadsheets; planning, scheduling and organizing work; and WordPress as a publishing engine.
- Ability to: handle sensitive vendor inquiries; exhibit flexibility in work schedule and tasks; work various weekends or evenings; coordinate multiple activities and tasks; work independently demonstrating initiative; and positively represent the TVA.
- Eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs program.
- 1 - 2 years of experience in coordinating events and/or community-led projects. Experience coordinating large-scale events is an asset.
- Proficient with computers (experience with Mac OS X is preferred), specifically word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and cloud-based platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Work in a fast-paced environment, achieve deadlines, and problem-solve when faced in high pressure situations.
- Knowledgeable of, enthusiastic about, and practice plant-based living.
- Send your résumé and cover letter addressed to the Festival and Events Coordinator to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting JOB#19FA in the subject line.
- In your application, please demonstrate how you meet the above qualifications and the impact the plant-based movement has had on you.
- MS Word or Adobe PDF attachments only please.
Deadline to apply is Friday, May 24th, 2019 at 11:59pm.
The TVA welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin. If additional accessibility support is needed, please request in advance as the TVA’s office has a stairway entrance. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those invited to an interview will be contacted.
* Only currently registered YES clients can apply online.