STEM Camp Counsellor
Do you have a passion for education and learning? Do you love working with children and youth? Do you consider yourself a coding or robotics specialist? Then we want you to join STEM Camp as a Counsellor!
The Counsellor is enthusiastic and has excellent group management skills. Counsellors enjoy organizing the camp activities from setup to cleanup. The Counsellors respect health and safety procedures and are interested in developing their leadership skills.
The responsibilities of a Counsellor include but are not limited to:
- Leading activities for campers including inquiry and discussion
- Assisting campers in learning more about STEM Camp projects
- Creating a fun, enjoyable, and safe atmosphere for campers
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and positive interactions
- Engaging with each camper as they work through activities
- Ensuring that all campers under your care are treated equally, consistently, and fairly
- Providing consistent and specific direction in the supervision of campers
- Demonstrating a positive attitude, thoughtfulness, and good decision-making
- Being self-confident and able to accept and adopt constructive feedback
- Following all daily campsite cleaning procedures
- Carrying out other reasonable duty requests from the Camp Coordinator, Program Coordinator or a member of the Management Team
Note: Candidates applying for any position with STEM Camp must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector.
Successful Candidates Should Possess
- Working towards a high school diploma or enrolled at a post-secondary institution
- 1 year experience working with children
- Knowledge and understanding of STEM related topics
- Inspirational and creative thinking skills
- Customer service-oriented mindset
- Teamwork and collaboration skills with the ability to take initiative
- Strong planning and organizational skills, with the ability to adapt to change
- The ability to anticipate problems and opportunities, and develop effective solutions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to commute to workplace location
- Applicants who are Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be prioritized
What to Expect
Although our camp season runs in July and August, we are looking for Counsellors to begin training in late June 2023. This is a full-time, contract role that is a great opportunity for people who enjoy working with children.
* Only currently registered YES clients can apply online.